First Lutheran Community Church Council Meeting Agenda 18 May 2017
Attendees: Marcie Martin, Pam Hess, Jim Demott, Wade Schmidt (Secretary), Fredericka Nordeen, Mary Benbow, Steve Atkinson, Sue Seidel, Troy Cook, Paul Gaudette (CBA), Pastor Adrian Bonaro,
Absentees: Jeff Robinson (President), Nancy Rollins (Treasurer), Brenton Campbell
1. CALL TO ORDER (Wade) 7:05
2. WELCOME NEW COUNCIL MEMBERS (Wade)
3. OPENING DEVOTIONS (Pastor Adrian): Highs and Lows of all present
4. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES FROM APRIL’S MEETING (Jeff)
Jim motioned the DRAFT 2 minutes from the April meeting be approved with changes as noted. Marcie seconded the motion. The motion was approved unanimously by voice vote.
5. VOTING FOR COUNCIL LEADERSHIP
Asked for volunteers to be President. Several people discussed their considerations and their issues with being President. Steve Atkinson was nominated to be President. There were no other nominees and no volunteers. Jeff Robinson was nominated to be Vice President. There were no other nominees and no volunteers. Wade Schmidt was nominated to be Secretary. There were no other nominees and no volunteers. Nancy Rollins was nominated to be Treasurer. There were no other nominees and no volunteers.
There was discussion about term limits and that electing Wade as the treasurer would be exceed the current constitutional limit of 2 consecutive terms. As the new constitution proposed Constitution eliminates the term limits for the officers and there were no other nominees or volunteers, the Council voted to re-elect Wade to Treasurer.
Sue Motioned that we elect Steve as President, Jeff as Vice President, Wade as Secretary, and Nancy as Treasurer. Freddie seconded the motion. The motion was approved unanimously by voice vote.
Steve Atkinson is President.
Jeff Robinson is Vice President.
Wade Schmidt is Secretary.
Nancy Rollins is Treasurer.
A. President’s Report. Nothing to report.
B. Pastor’s Report (Pastor Adrian)
New Members were presented.
John and Kim Olson, their son Gavin Olson, and daughter Sophie Olson.
Diane and Matthew Thon, their daughters, Mayghan and SarahThon.
Kim and Christopher Hinshaw, and their daughters Evelyn and Sophia Hinshaw.
Sue Motioned that we accepted all of the people named above as new members. Freddie seconded the motion. The motion was approved unanimously by voice vote.
A lot has been going on. It should calm down going forward hopefully.
1. Parking Lot – First Big thing. Anonymous donor $55,000. People have been making posters and fundraising activities for use in the next few months. First Sunday in June, people can sponsor a parking spot. $100 for a 1/4 spot. A drawing will be held for a prize for based on the spots. The teardown and replacement will be a week. Congregation have been advised. Maybe early July. Global Paving. Material needs to be paid for and we need to ensure that has happened. Stuff with Tiny house. County commission.
2. Homes for All. 12 in SK, 12 in CK, and 12 in NK. 11 have been sponsored in SK. 3 have been built already. Project Share has been helping. Kitsap Community Resourcing will be doing the placement. A 1200 sqft modular building will be provided in the middle of the community with half as bathrooms and half as kitchen. 10 hours of work by tenants to support the cleaning of the area and facilities. There is not going to be a time limit. This is meant to be transitional housing for people to get on their feet.
3. Confirmation for the youth. Faith Diving. 8 kids are getting confirmed. June 4th will be their faith statements. Met with the Rabbi at a synagogue and participated in some of the events. It was a good experience for the kids.
4. Adding some hours for Breit, the guitarist, right now. But he will be taking the summer off.
5. Looking at providing Denael a few more hours. Possibly have a night a week where we hold events. Maybe have a dinner at 5pm, and some other social event at 7pm. This would allow for additional socializing with congregation meetings.
Sue motioned that we increase Deneal’s hours by 2 hours a week starting the first week of June. Marci Seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved by voice vote.
6. New video editing software for the iMac that will help a lot in making promotional videos.
7. May need to buy a new audio amp. The current one is dying. It is causing some problems and giving indications that it may fail soon. It was agreed by consensus of the council to purchase the amp.
8. Staff Retreat. It is not in the budget, but would like to consider having an event. Maybe a mystery room event. Estimate could be about $180 for the hour event. Treasurer needs to figure out where the money will come from. Need to add this to next year’s budget if it will become an annual event. It was agreed by consensus of the council to support and fund the staff retreat. Pastor Adrian will talk with Nancy about where the money might come from.
C. Treasurer’s Report (Maury)
Maury represented Nancy as Nancy could not be here. With the new Council Members, Maury reviewed the various reports the Financial Team provides to the Council. He explained what is on the reports, how it is formatted, and how people should be looking at it.
Profit And Loss Statement covers income and expenses. Try to break it down into things that are related at a high level.
The last two months have had good income.
$380K for the year.
We are not getting enough in general to cover expenses if we lose the rental income for the Ministry Center. Questions about the summer possibly being reduced. While possible, we see a lot less of a reduction due to the usage fees and automatic Simply Giving. We have quite a few people giving through Simply Giving online.
Our financials are fairly complex, but it is necessary complex to have greater it be transparency.
FLCC Income & Expense Report:
These are the ones we see every month. The only things budgeted are General Funds and Transformational Funds. The Designated Funds are not budgeted.
The designated funds is critical that we watch them. Because we should not be spending General Funds or Transformational Ministry Funds on any designated funds.
General Giving for April was $27,593.
Noah’s Ark Pre-School (NAPS): Down a little bit this month. Some early payments, some late payments, and a few people that have not paid. They are down to $4,700 vice the regular $7,000. They have $27,000 in savings. Preschool is owned by the church.
For next year, we need to open the position of Treasurer to the whole Congregation vice just the Council. The Council does not have a person with the financial expertise to be a Treasurer.
We limited the financial discussion to not have the Council meeting go too long.
Steve wants to keep us all mindful of the time limit the meeting to 9pm, and that a motion should be is required to go past 9. As it is 8:50, Jim motioned that we extend the meeting past 9pm. Sue seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved by voice vote.
D. CBA’s Report (Paul)
1. Already talked about the parking lot.
2. Working on getting a new phone system as ours is getting old and showing signs of failure. Wave Broadband provided a quote which is more than what we are paying. Talking to CenturyLink and Costco.
3. Police came because there was a person roaming the neighborhood. So several people in the neighborhood called the police. The police came and gave him a ride somewhere.
4. Signed a contract to have new countertops installed in the Daycare. A manmade stone that will look like granite. It will be installed over two weekends in the next month or so. The daycare was provided an original quote of $13,000. The directors did more research and found a quote of $8,000. Trying to incentivize them for all their hard work and effort. Looking at giving them a paid day off each month.
5. Screening has been put up around the changing tables and the personnel have been trained to place their backs to the cameras and block the camera’s view of the child.
E. Transformational Ministry Report (Pastor Adrian)
1. Group is working hard to put together a listening campaign, Is the mission statement still a good fit. Is the vision statement still a good fit. New members Sharon and Dixie. We have Emmanuel Lutheran in Centralia. We will visit in June. Second weekend in June will be another imagine Retreat in Vancouver.
2. The Synod provided $2,000 additional this month for Transformational Ministry.
3. Found a company that will provide Conflict Resolution training for $150.
5. OLD BUSINESS (Steve): None
6. NEW BUSINESS (Steve):
Start thinking about scheduling when we will have a congregational meeting to approve the new constitution.
7. FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER (Steve): None
8. ADJOURNMENT (Steve): 9:15PM
9. NEXT MEETING IS SCHEDULED FOR 15 JUNE 2017