First Lutheran Community Church Council Meeting Agenda for 19 May 2016
ATTENDEES: Dixie Douthit (Vice President), Wade Schmidt (Secretary), Pastor Adrian Bonaro, Brad Hayward, Sharon Bacon, Paul Gaudette (CBA), Freddie Nordeen, Nancy Rollins, Pam Hess, Marcie Martin, Lorraine Olsen, and Jim Demott
ABSENTEES: Jeff Robinson (President), and Troy Cook
GUESTS: Bree Armentrout and Amanda McKinney Noah’s Ark Day Care Co-Directors
Joe Summers of Kitsap Rescue Mission
- CALL TO ORDER (Dixie) (7:02)
- WELCOME TO THE NEW COUNCIL MEMBERS (Dixie) Marcie Martin, Pam Hess, and Jim Demott
- OPENING DEVOTIONS (Pastor Adrian)
A letter from Hebrews 10.
Tone of the meeting has changed since starting the Highs and Lows. It is more personal and
feeling more connected.
Highs and Lows for each member for the last month.
4. DISCUSSION WITH KITSAP RESCUE MISSION REPRESENTATIVE (7:18)
Joe Summers of Kitsap Rescue Mission (KRM) discussed his history with the Kitsap Rescue Mission and the South Kitsap Community Alliance. Proposing a Saturday morning brunch. Don’t want to be a hindrance to church activities services. Out by 11:15 or 11:30. Interfere with the church activities services as little as possible. Not denominational, but do have a statement of faith. Also a member of Bringing It to the Streets (BITS). Whole purpose is to serve the least of these. A lot of it has to do with fellowship. Literally someone to just break bread with. Volunteers go sit with the people after everyone is served. BITS works out of Port Orchard, not all over the county. BITS started in 2012. Been on a hiatus since leaving their last location a few months ago. KRM serves from Poulsbo to Port Orchard. All volunteers members have a food service license. They have concerns reservations about working with FLCC. Not a lot of room at FLCC to store the their food. that they have at FLCC. Since our kitchen is utilized by so many people and organizations, they would have to change their processes. Since they are self-funded, paying for janitorial services might be problematic. How are they going to make it work with logistics. Need to work it out with the rest of the churches doing people from the Family Kitchen. When are you looking to start? As soon as possible. Could you walk us through your normal schedule. Btwn 7-8 a couple of people would come in and start setting up and prepping. A lot of people that are volunteers used to be those that needed the help. People would start filing in about 9 for a 10 brunch. Pray before the meal, and they have person that plays guitar for background music. After starting at 10, twice a month at 10:15 Harper Church would show up with charitable items like clothes and hygiene supplies. [A lot of people that
Everyone People would start leaving by 11 and everyone would be out of here by 1130.
If we needed to come and set up for an event, can we come in and set up side by side while you are in there? Certainly, and if necessary we can start a little early and try to get out early. Do you serve family style or through the window. They serve family style by the plate. They usually server on paper and with plastic utensils. This was to save effort and time on cleanup. We have FLCC has a couple of events that takes all day Saturday. What would that look like. Might
combine with the event and serve a meal during the event. Children days with Easter and Christmas and other days. Would tell the people that the Church has a private function. Thanksgiving and Christmas we serve at Moon Dogs II. What about the bathrooms. It is our responsibility to police those and clean them when we are done. Policy for Sex Offenders. We do background checks for volunteers, and they have 3 men that are under accountable with the ministry. For the safety of the family there are Drug and Alcohol Policies too. None Here. If you come and you you’re high and a good citizen, then no problem. If you are not a good citizen, they will be banned. If they are causing problems, they will call police. Background checks done by Protect Our Ministries. Sheriffs Department provides all the information on any Sex Offenders or Predators. Are there families that come. Yes, families and seniors. People that can’t afford to eat properly. People that want fellowship. Families with small children.
After Joe left, we had a discussion about our concerns and how we mitigate some of the problems and conflicts people believe might occur.
Bree and Amanda wanted to introduce themselves and tell us what is happening in the Day Care. They mentioned the carpet, interior and exterior painting, waxing the floors, new furniture for the lobby, next will be new furniture in the rooms. Uniforms,
Lots of compliments with the changes. Maybe do an open house.
Little garden still getting used? Yes.
Built the garden as Liam’s Eagle Scout Project and in honor of Josh Fudge, and there will be
plaque to dedicate it.
What is your role in the Day Care. Bree and Amanda discussed their history and their
preferences for different age children.
UW evaluates the students and children and they train the teachers on how to provide more
We want to be the top daycare in the area. Studying and learning to improve their
knowledge and abilities to teach the children.
5. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES FROM APRIL’S MEETING (Dixie) (7:50)
Nancy Rollins motioned to approve the minutes with additional changes discussed. Sharon Seconded. Voice vote. Unanimously approved by voice vote.
6. NOMINATIONS/VOTING FOR PRESIDENT, VICE PRESIDENT, & SECRETARY (Wade)
After discussion regarding Jeff staying on as President for another year, Dixie staying on as Vice President for another year, and Wade staying on as President Secretary for another year, Nancy motioned that all three officers retain their posts for another year. Freddie seconded the motion. Unanimously approved by voice vote.
7. REPORTS (7:55)
A. President’s Report (Dixie)
1) Development of the Grassy Area. Jeff will be looking into funding opportunities in our communities community for a covered area inside the fencing. The present thought is something similar to the covered eating areas found at state parks. The next phase will be to install concrete floor. Also, Jeff feels we need to get power, possibly from the light pole, to the area to support lighting, audio equipment, cooking equipment and possibly overhead heaters.
2) We, the Council, need to figure out present council terms. This will be covered further during New Business. We need to try and get back to voting for one third of the council at each meeting in May.
3) Jeff, along with Pastor George, have has been attending meetings with the Bishop and a committee of other members of our Synod. The purpose of these meetings is to discuss methods to re-establish the bonds we, the Lutheran Church, had with the local Northwest Indian Tribes. We are working towards holding some small gatherings at different locations in November. The main goals of these gatherings are to allow us to listen to the elders of these tribes as they tell us the histories of the First Nations. The hope for these gatherings is to develop trusting friendships with local Indian Tribes including many of those who presently live amongst us. Jeff has been assigned to develop a series of tours, mimicking a wine tour, to the local Native American museums. The first two would likely be the museums at Suquamish and Neah Bay. I will be reaching out to Roy Doboer DeBoer for help and mentoring. I am very excited for this project.
4) Progress is going very well on the landscaping of the front areas, thanks to Nancy McCord, Ross Pfann and the guys who work with Nancy: Joshua, Zack, and Nate. The dirt is out of the fire zones and distributed along the driveway where trees are now planted. The area is looking wonderful.
5) Upcoming projects are building the Fire Pit area in our back area. Likely by the time of this meeting this has been accomplished. Next will be fencing the area surrounding of the heat pump on the Back SE Beck Street side of the church..
B. Pastor’s Report (Pastor Adrian) (8:15)
Vast part of my job is supervision. Trying to maximize the use of my time because it gets away pretty quick.
Music Survey. Blog post every week.
Pastor Jon Olsen will be coming in occasionally.
We were approved for the Grant at a lesser amount than we asked for. Outreach Board has
approved $20,000, $15,000 and $10,000, not now it goes to Church-wide for final approval. We cleaned out the upper floor of that Ministry Center building. Turned the upper floor
into a seating area. 05 Jun to 13 July, a fund-raiser will be held to raise funds for a shed out back.
We don’t have enough storage. A shed will solve that storage problem. We have a lot of staging for the carnival. Daycare needs emergency supplies away from the building.
Putting together a stewardship team, and we are going to put together a fundraiser mid- year pledge drive.
Longest day of the year service down at the firepit. Partnering with the community garden. Discussed the Facilities Use Agreement.
Do we have signs for “Use At Your Own Risk” around the playground. We probably
Discussed the janitorial service with for the Kistap Rescue Mission brunch. Not sure how
much will be needed.
Sharon Motioned: to allow the BITS group to use our facilities on Saturday with a 6-month
probation provided they sign the Facilities Use Agreement. Nancy Seconded. Unanimously approved by voice.
Discussed the janitorial service again. Including if they use our cleaning supplies. Decided that they will pay the $50 to family kitchen and $75 to FLCC janitorial.
C. Treasurer’s Report (Nancy) 8:55PM
1) General Comments: The new bookkeeper (Sirena Mitchell), Paul, and Nancy have worked diligently to produce accurate financial reports for the Council & Congregation. The report given to the Congregation at the Semi-Annual meeting on May 1st was Nancy’s “best attempt,” but not totally accurate. Most of the reports have been corrected – as of this afternoon
– but that didn’t give Nancy enough time to prepare them for distribution. Nancy will continue review & then send them to the Council by email. When complete, they will also be posted in the hallway.
2) FLCC Finances: General giving in April was only $19,453.85 – the lowest of the year. In fact, since January 2013, only June 2015 was lower than last month. We would be in dire straits if we didn’t have the income from the Ministry Center lease, and the Transformational Ministry Grant. April expenses were a bit higher than prior months this year.
3) Ministry Center Lease: As expected, the Lease Operational Costs sub-account has a deficit because we reduced Kitsap Mental Health’s (KMH’s) monthly payment to cover the remaining excess funds collected in 2014 & 2015.
2) Transformational Ministry (TM) Finances: The Grant covers salary & payroll taxes for Community Resource Coordinator Corrinne Criss, Associate in Ministry Marj Olason, and the youth-leader-in-training Jacob Hassebrock. It also pays for our outreach advertising and the monthly $50 to Family Kitchen.
3) Noah’s Ark Daycare Center (NADC) Finances: The Daycare continues to prosper, with $15,645 net profit January thru April. Their improved financial condition has allowed upgrades to their facility, such as new paint and carpet. They also paid for the stump grinding out front, and for some lighting fixture maintenance. At month’s end, NADC had $20,252 general savings, and $44,022 in checking.
4) Noah’s Ark Pre-School (NAPS) Finances: The Preschool continues to how profit: Over $6,730 January thru April. They had a combined $149,823 $19,823 in saving & checking on April 30th.
5) Designated Funds: The Community Aid Fund was used in April to assist a client to obtain housing. The Transfer of the Landscape Fund’s balance to the Church General Fund was processed before all expenses were paid, resulting in a $140 deficit. The net difference was returned in April, to “zero out” the Landscape Fund. All future contributions to Landscape will be transferred at month-end to the General Fund, since Landscape expenses are now included in the Church Budget.
D. CBA’s Report (Paul) (9:13)
1) Daycare: doing great.
2) Preschool: doing great. Doing great together.
3) Church: Gas scare at the ministry bldg. Fire Dept came in and found no gas leak. An injector was causing problems. Gas expert came in and checked everything. Have to order a part and it should be here tomorrow. Daycare stove Stove downstairs needed cleaning and it is fine now.
E. Transformational Ministry Report (Lorraine) 9:16
Good news is we will likely get the transformational grant. Need to form a transformational ministry team to determine the best use of the funds.
8. OLD BUSINESS:
A. Discussion of the Congregational Meeting. Thought it went well. No major issues or changes needed.
B. Front Parking Lot Paving. Getting bids.
C. Fencing around the heat pump. Discussed earlier.
D. Discussion on the Treasurer’s Guide. Sent to everyone by email for review. Been
working on the Guide for four years. Lots of smart people (Maury Nestby, Fred Seidel, Nancy Rollins and many others). 40 pages of appendices.
E. Grant Request. Already discussed.
9. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Council Terms Discussion. We have five people with terms expiring in 2017, four people with terms expiring in 2018, and the three new council member terms expiring in 2019. The reason for five expiring in 2017, is that when five people were voted into positions in 2014, no one was appointed to fill the two years remaining for Jill Veverka who had to resign in 2014 and whose term should have ended and been filled this year (2016). A separate more detailed accounting will be sent to the Council members. In summary, the current terms are:
Expiring in 2017:
Expiring in 2018:
Expiring in 2019:
** Filling the remainder of Leslie Barber’s term
*** Filling the remainder of Rebekah Tillman’s term
While there is no need to rush a decision on how to correct the situation, we will discuss options next council meeting.
Hayward Dixie*** Olson** Schmidt Bacon Robinson Nordeen Cook Rollins
Martin Hess Demott
10. FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER:
A. President wanted to bring up for discussion later on. Wants us to consider giving people the landscape workers landscapers a raise. Thinking about it and if we can get more money.
B. Wade will likely be on work related travel for the next meeting.
11. ADJOURNMENT: 9:27PM
12. NEXT MEETING IS 16 JUNE 2016